Pages

5 Feb 2018

Grocery Shopping

After last months terrible grocery spend blowout I've decided I'm going to log my shopping here to help me keep on track and I enjoy comparing prices to other countries.  Our shopping for this week - Coles: $127.43,  Bakers Delight: $5.14
Total = $132.57


Theres 3 adults -two that are a bit fussy and one with multiple food allergies, that is not fussy but can't eat many commons foods (me!) and one cat. I'm trying to increase our fruit & veggie intake as we have been eating a bit too much junk food over the holidays.



Heres the breakdown:
2  litres milk - $2.60
1 litre grapeseed oil -- $10
1 litre almond milk - $2.80
2 x500g peanut butter - $5.70
700g red capsicums - $6.69
2 red grapefruit  - $2.93
1 green cabbage -  $2.50
2.2kgs watermelon - $2.20
6 delicious apples - $3.85
1kg kent pumpkin - $2.60
1 bag corn chips - $3.10
1 pkt rice cakes - $1.65
125g blackberries - $3.00
500g butter - $4.50
200g pappadams - $2
2 rolls paper towel - $1.75
5 navel oranges - $6.18
1 avocado - $3.90
1.5kgs red onions - $5.17
.8kgs kent pumpkin - $2.07
200g shredded carrots - $2
2 bunches coriander - $5
150g garlic - $2.50
350g kaleslaw - $5
gluten free bread - $5.99
500g ground flaxseed - $4
chocolate - $6
roast chicken - $8
12 cheese & bacon rolls $5.14
toiletries $12.40

Our savings on this shop were $16.71. I didn't use any flybuys points this shop. There are a few items here that just make it easier to make lunches in a hurry- the shredded carrot, the kaleslaw. We both come home for lunch and usually make a sandwich, salad, or leftovers. Buying a bunch of kale is expensive and would be a waste whereas a small precut kale salad gets used - its lovely stir fried with a bit of olive oil & some baby tomatos, and shredded carrot on salads & sandwichs.

Eating healthy is important to me for two reasons - one I have numerous health issues and diet makes a huge difference  - two - I grew up poor and lived on cheap, processed foods and as a result my health suffered - so I know the impact of a poor diet over many years and I'm doing my best to remedy it so we can have a healthy old age.



5 comments:

Hawaii Planner said...

I spent around $150 this week, but the majority of it was on a gift card, so feeling good about that.

Practical Parsimony said...

I have many allergies, but I have been deemed picky, which I am not! We were too poor for processed food, so I ate many fruits and vegetables along with meats and dairy which we always had. In many ways I ate better back then.

Jan said...

its great when you can use gift cards & vouchers - really helps!

Jan said...

yes, aside from all my allergies I actually would eat almost anything,

slugmama said...

I have to keep reminding myself that when I come to your blog and I need to convert your AU $s to US $s to understand when you "really" spend/save. ;-)